A Little of Auntie Skinner’s History
Auntie Skinner’s Riverboat Club has been a regular in Jefferson since opening in 1983. Joe & Lois Muller opened the establishment that year, naming the restaurant and family-welcoming club after the old Dixieland song “Auntie Skinner’s Chicken Dinner.” Located on Austin Street across the street from the Marion County Courthouse, the old international building in which the restaurant thrives was constructed in 1866 and served first as of Jefferson’s many riverfront-district warehouses. Among the first owners of the building was the U.S. Senator C.A. Culberson of Jefferson, whose son David Culberson would later be elected Governor of Texas. Over the years, the building has also housed various offices, a drug store, and naturally a saloon. One of the few remaining downtown commercial buildings never modernized, its architectural features include the three double doors in front with beautiful fan windows, reminiscent of the town’s business connections to New Orleans. On the walls are photos of some of the steamboats that called on the Northeast Texas riverport. Above the back wall is the large King of Spades, Jefferson’s “Calling Card” for cargo handlers from the 19th Century who couldn’t read, but certainly knew their way around a deck of cards!
HOME OF AUNTIE SKINNER’S HOT SAUCE!